Saturday, May 22, 2010

ENG 102-13. The depressing similarities P&P


Last week because of the bayram holiday we couldn't watch the movie "Precious" in our section and I couldn't come to other sections because I had different lectures so I decided to watch it by myself on Thursday. I confess that I cried lot while I was watching. It was impressed me so. The story of Precious and Pecola is really similar in many ways. Her father raped twice and she got 2 children one of them has Down Syndrom. Her mother physically abused her, she is black and want to be blond and skinny (American Dream). Everybody laugh at her because of fattnes and blackness like Pecola, boys laught at her because of her blackness and ugliness. I realized that African Americans live nowadays in such conditions.Additionally every individual is responsible for that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so pleased you watched this film. You're right, there are so many depressing similarities between Precious and Pecola - you can also see my post about this.

    I've seen this film 4 times now and have cried every time.. :((
    I just cannot believe there are still people living like this in our country, but that's why this film is so important: it shows a shocking truth we'd rather forget..

    ReplyDelete
  2. the film shows us the change of society's view. at the beginning of the film Precious was just a fat and black wooman but at the end she become an individual , who can live without help of her mother.

    ReplyDelete