Tuesday, November 24, 2009

5. Tough guise

I watched the film " Tough Guise" today. The film is like a documantry i think and very interesting in many ways. The subject is an actual subject and very informative.
At the beginning the narrator Jackson Katz makes a definition about the words "tough" and "guise". He says that the toughness based on extreme notion of masculinity and he has right because the meaning of tough become real men and the culture become more dominant. When I want to describe the word "masculinity", some words like powerful, tough, strong, macho came in my mind and in the video many people use these words to describe masculinity.
People learn it from their family, community but significantly from the media system. Media says that "being men= being violent". So young men become tough to survive and to be a real men.
I've never realized the change in size of male toys before I watched the video. It is a very interesting way to impose "masculinity, strentgh" in visually. There are bigger biceps etc. that represent more masculinity and violence. On the other hand female toys become much thinner and these inequallity on size of toys shows us the greater value on the size and shape.
Gun imagery become bigger, too. In 40's it was much smaller than 90's.
In the film Jackon talks about the kid-shooting or school-shooting. Kids killing kids and mostly the killers are the boys as New York Times mentioned. I noted down an expression of a killer boy and he says "I killed people because people like me are mistreated everyday". It is heartbreking but it is reality.
I want to write many thing about that subject but under a different topic=)

3 comments:

  1. A great initial summary of the film! There are so many things to reflect on in this film, I think. One thing that came up in our class discussions relates to how masculinity is constructed differently in Turkish and American cultures, so you might like to think about that.

    By the way, we also discussed this in class: the spelling of 'masculinity'. Your spelling seems to mix up 'masculinity' and 'muscularity', so be careful with these words.

    There is a worksheet for the film on SU Course, and I hope you will use the last section, "Possible blogging topics' to write more about this film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sonja,
    Thank you for your help about the last lessons and I've corrected my spelling masculanity to masculinity=)
    I am going to write more about these topics as soon as possible

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete